Creative writing is an important developmental skill for kids. It stretches their imagination, helps them practice grammar, and is the perfect way to keep their minds active during the summer break!
Warm summer days and family vacations provide endless inspiration for journal entries. Have your child keep a daily journal throughout the summer, and not only will you keep their minds fresh and ready when school starts back up, but you will also create a summer keepsake full of memories and glimpses into your child’s heart and mind.
At the end of the school year, gift your child a blank diary to fill throughout the summer season. Ones like the Alex Toys Super Sweet Diary include stickers to personalize and a small lock with keys to keep prying little siblings at bay!
To help their writing skills sharp during the summer break, provide them with writing prompts. Writing prompts allows them to get practice writing about a variety of topics without hearing the dreaded, “I don’t know what to write about!”
Here’s a list of 20 questions and statements to prompt your child to write. Set aside writing time every day, weekly, or whenever you choose!
- What would happen if kids ruled the world?
- If you could be any animal you like (real or fantasy), which would you choose, and why?
- Everyone in your family has a super power. Which family member has which super power and how does each one work?
- I have never been more frightened than when…
- You’re going on a week-long camping trip but you can only take three items. What items would you take, and why?
- Invent and describe a new food.
- You’re stranded on a deserted island with one other person. Who would you hope it was and why?
- What would you do if you woke up one morning to find yourself invisible?
- Write a list of at least 20 things that make you feel good.
- What is your favorite kind of weather? Why?
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment and why?
- If you could travel back in time to any moment, what would it be, and why? Would you change history or just observe?
- What if everyone lived in space? How would we travel from place to place? What sort of houses would we live in? What would we eat?
- Name one appliance in your home and tell me why you can’t live without it.
- Write about a difficult decision you had to make.
- Explain how bad situations can have a good side.
- The thing I wish other people would understand about me is…
- What do you fear the most and why?
- What is the best birthday present you ever received? What made it so special?
- What would happen if you woke up and you had grown to eight feet tall overnight? How would this change your life?
Has your little one filled their diary/journal with these writing prompts? Post a photo on our Facebook page and tell us about their favorite prompt!